The DERS training guides and focuses
The five-hour training, delivered in person or online, prepares staff
to use the DERS effectively as a tool for continuous improvement
The training session explains the research behind the DERS, orients users to the tool, and guides them through a series of video observations. Participants learn to identify, evaluate, and record classroom indicators which support development. Training in the Minnesota Executive Function Scale (MEFS), a companion tool for assessing executive function, is provided as well.
Face to Face Training
Sessions run typically run 6 hours, typically from 8:30am-3:30pm. Breakfast, lunch, and light snacks will be provided.
Each school will be provided with an iPad to work with during the training. Schools will need to provide a screen and speakers, and at least one iPad per every two participants.
The online training consists of two sessions:
- Session I: DERS (3 hours)
- Session II: MEFS (2 hours)
These can be scheduled on the same day or on separate days. An NCMPS staff member gives the training to assembled staff via a live, interactive teleconferencing link.
Schools must provide a computer, a screen, and speakers, and at least one iPad per every two participants.
Training and Subscriptions
Schools pay for the DERS as an annual subscription for unlimited use, based on the number of classrooms. For the 2017-18 pilot year, the cost for training and use of the DERS is $1000, which includes:
- DERS Training and Certification
- One year whole-school DERS subscription
- Minnesota Executive Function Scale (MEFS) Training and Certification
- 25 per-child MEFS licenses good through 12/31/2017 (additional annual licenses are available for $5 per child)
- Membership in the DERS Network, including access to additional tools, monthly webinars, and data sharing (read more about the Network)
Schools are required to train at least three staff members and may include as many as is feasible.
Schedule online or face-to-face training use the form on the right.
Already Been Trained?
If you have attended one of our live trainings, please click here to complete the certification process.